Ketamine Effective in Treating PTSD
Causes of post-traumatic stress disorder can range from violence, assault, natural disasters, abuse, witnessing a violent death, military combat and more. PTSD affects 8 million Americans nationwide according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness.
How Does PTSD Affect Your Brain?
It makes sense that witnessing or being a victim of any of the causes above (plus many others) would cause someone to be upset or even experience physical symptoms. Unfortunately, many with post-traumatic stress experience physical symptoms such as nausea or even nightmares. Post-traumatic stress symptoms generally only last a few weeks, however post-traumatic stress disorder symptoms can last a lifetime. Symptoms of PTSD can disrupt one’s life and can include rapid heartbeat, sweating, shortness of breath, anxious feelings, and nausea.
When we injure our self (stub a toe, break a bone, etc.) the physical harm that is done to our body is usually visible as we can see swelling, bruising, bleeding, redness, etc. Although an emotional injury to the brain isn’t visible in the exact same way, research has shown that parts of the brain are in some way altered due to trauma.
Ketamine Therapy for PTSD
There is a Veterans Affairs office in San Francisco that has been using ketamine therapy to help treat veterans with PTSD. Ketamine Infusion Therapy has been used off label more recently as it has been found to help improve symptoms of those suffering with PTSD. The patients at the Veterans Affairs office in San Francisco have had impressive results. Many other physicians are seeking to help treat their patients with PTSD using Ketamine Infusion Therapy. In Austin, TX Victory Medical is doing just the same.
Patients schedule an appointment with a licensed mental health nurse practitioner at Victory Medical who helps them address their PTSD and then the team at Victory Medical formulates a plan for PTSD treatment that is customized for each individual. Patients who have PTSD and have undergone Ketamine Infusion Therapy at Victory Medical have stated that the treatment is life–changing.
How Many Treatments Are Needed?
Some patients typically see results after the first treatment within a few days, however many benefit from 2 or more treatments. It is important to remember that you have been dealing with what could be nearly a lifetime injury, so it is important to be patient to allow for the results to happen.
How Much Does Ketamine Infusion Therapy Cost?
Due to the medication costs, the length of the treatment, and the team involved, the treatment can be costly. Insurance does not cover Ketamine Infusion Therapy, however there is financing available. The Victory Medical team can go over these options available to you as many find that the costs are reasonable when financing is used.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)