What is Anxiety?
Anxiety is a normal and often healthy emotion. When a person may feel a disproportionate level of anxiety it might be considered a medical disorder. Anxiety disorder is a type of mental health diagnosis that can be described as someone experiencing excessive nervousness, fear, apprehension, and worry.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Combat Symptoms
Cannabidiol Oil (CBD) is a derivative of the cannabis, or marijuana, plant. CBD oil does not contact THC which is the substance that creates a “high”.
Ashwagandha: This is one of the most powerful herbs in Ayurvedic healing and is frequently referred to as the “Indian ginseng.” It is a highly rejuvenating herb that reduces anxiety without causing drowsiness, and it helps to stabilize the body’s response to stress.
Magnesium promotes better sleep. If difficulty falling asleep is contributing to your anxiety, a magnesium supplement may improve your sleep quality, and help you feel more rested.
Valerian root: This has been found to naturally increase the amount of gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) in the brain, which helps regulate nerve cells and calm anxiety. The benzodiazepine medications work this same way.
5-HTP: This is synthesized from tryptophan, an amino acid that acts as a mood stabilizer. By taking 5-HTP, serotonin is increased, which is a calming neurotransmitter that is associated with a significant reduction in anxiety symptoms.
Vitamin B-complex: B vitamins help reduce stress and stabilize moods. Vitamin B6 should specifically be considered as a natural remedy for anxiety symptoms, because one of the signs of B6 deficiency is anxiety itself. Vitamin B6 helps to boost mood, balance blood sugar levels, and maintain a healthy nervous system.
Anxiety can occur at various times and have different types of triggers as well as intensity. Some symptoms one might experience are:
- Intense, Excessive and Persistent Worry and Fear about everyday situations, Fast heart rate, Rapid breathing, Sweating, Feeling Tired, Restlessness
Causes can be due to stressful situations such as public speaking, taking a test, interviewing, etc. Anxiety is only an indicator of underlying disease when feelings become excessive, all-consuming, and interfere with daily living.
Medication is useful for alleviating the symptoms of generalized anxiety disorder and is often prescribed in conjunction with other therapies. Some types of anxiety drugs can be habit-forming and are usually prescribed on a short-term or as-needed basis.
Different anxiety disorders have different medication regimens. Some are preventive and some are designed to cure the problem.
Antidepressants, particularly the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), are widely used to treat and prevent a variety of anxiety disorders. Examples of SSRIs that are commonly used to treat chronic anxiety include citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram(Lexapro), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), and sertraline(Zoloft). The antidepressants duloxetine (Cymbalta) and venlafaxine (Effexor), SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors) which act on the brain chemicals serotonin and norephinephrine, and some of the tricyclic antidepressants like imipramine (Tofranil), may also help. Antihistamines (such as hydroxyzine) and beta-blockers (such as propranolol) can help mild cases of anxiety as well as performance anxiety, a type of social anxiety disorder. Antidepressants such as SSRIs or SNRIs or tricyclics need to be taken daily whether or not you have anxiety on that particular day, as prescribed by your health care provider. Antihistamines or beta-blockers are usually taken only when needed for anxiety, or immediately before an anxiety-provoking event (for example, taking propranolol shortly before giving a speech). Finally, certain anticonvulsant medicines, such as gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica), are also beginning to show value in treating some forms of anxiety in initial research studies.
Some patients choose to control their anxiety naturally through exercise. It is a great way to burn off anxious energy. Another option is meditation to help slow racing thoughts or relaxation exercises to help relax tense muscles.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.