Allergy Symptoms, Causes, and Treatments
What is Allergic Rhinitis?
Allergic Rhinitis is a type of inflammation in the nose which occurs when the immune system overreacts to allergens in the air.
Allergic Rhinitis Symptoms
Allergic Rhinitis, commonly known as hay fever or allergies), can cause a variety of symptoms and be uncomfortable to deal with. Common allergy symptoms include:
- Runny or Stuffy Nose
- Red, Itchy, Watery Eyes
- Swelling Around the Eyes (puffiness)
- Loss of Smell
- Post-nasal Drip
- Breathing Through the Mouth
- Throat Irritation
Diagnosing Allergic Rhinitis
Allergic Rhinitis is often diagnosed by your physician based on your symptoms as well as medical history.
Treating Allergic Rhinitis
Allergic Rhinitis can often be treated with over the counter medications, but sometimes allergic rhinitis can cause some discomfort and prescription medications can help alleviate those symptoms. Antihistamines are commonly used to treat allergic rhinitis and can be found in various forms to help alleviate many of one’s symptoms. Examples of such include eye drops, nasal sprays as well as oral tablets and syrup. Some patients need extra help combating their symptoms and may be prescribed steroids or bronchodilators to help reduce those symptoms. Victory Medical has a full range of allergy services.
Common Supplements Found in Our Pharmacy to Help Combat Symptoms
Quercetin This flavonoid helps give fruits and vegetables their color and also helps stop the production of histamines which are what trigger the symptoms you experience when you have allergic rhinitis.
Butterbur This supplement has been used to treat excess mucus production.
Probiotics modify the intestinal flora in the gut and can help improve the immune system which may help in the prevention of allergies.
Spirulina stops the release of histamine that causes the uncomfortable symptoms.
Zinc helps to boost the immune system which can also help prevent the symptoms of allergies from worsening.
Preventing Allergic Rhinitis
Allergic Rhinitis can often be prevented by avoiding the specific allergens that are triggering the symptoms as well as washing the nasal passages with a nasal saline rinse. Victory Medical offers allergy prevention treatment such as desensitization which helps introduce the body to the allergens in a controlled environment and allows the body to build up antibodies for preventing the symptoms in the future. Ask your doctor about if you might be a candidate for this type of treatment.
Additional Services Offered by Victory Medical
Did You Know… Victory Medical is a one stop shop. We offer additional services for your convenience so you can tackle all of your health needs in one spot.
Victory Medical Offers:
- Primary Care: annual physicals, blood work, medication management, EKG, Vaccines, X-rays, Blood work
- Heartwise Physical: a comprehensive, preventative, non-invasive, head-to-toe evaluation, that includes 26 tests and takes about 90 minutes to complete.
- Pharmacy: receive prescriptions through the convenience of our pharmacy. We also offer compounded prescriptions custom measured and compounded specifically for you.
- Urgent Care: Get help whenever you may need it with our Urgent Care clinics that have extended hours.
- Natural Hormone Replacement: Want to rejoin the human race and experience renewed energy, a fulfilling sex life, and happiness again? Don’t let the effects of aging drag you down.
- MedSpa: Look and feel beautiful at our MedSpa where you will receive quality treatments and products as well as beauty consultations
- Coolsculpting: The CoolSculpting fat-freezing procedure is the only FDA-cleared, non-surgical fat-reduction treatment that uses controlled cooling to eliminate stubborn fat that resists all efforts through diet and exercise.
- Ketamine Therapy: Ketamine is rapid acting, has a short duration of action, and has been known to drastically help those affected by Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, and PTSD.
- Allergy: Allergy testing can improve your quality of life and shed light on the cause or trigger of your bothersome symptoms.
- Physical Therapy: Victory Medical provides state-of-the-art physical therapy and rehabilitation for pain management, neurological ailments, and the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries including sprains, strains, fractures, dislocations, and post-surgical needs.
- Chiropractic Therapy: Manage pain, heal faster, reduce stress, enjoy life
- Weight Loss: Medical weight loss is an effective option for individuals who haven’t had success with other methods, and for people who need their health and safety monitored every step of the way.
Ask a staff member for more information about any of our services or schedule an appointment by calling 512-462-DOCS (3627)